Welcome to government week! This week, each day we'll be featuring a government vehicle that the general public might not be lucky enough to see. Today's vehicle is the 2012 Chevrolet Caprice PPV.
The Caprice is a police only vehicle, unlike some of the other Chevrolets that are offered in the PPV trim who are offered as "civilian alternatives".
It is a full-size, rear-drive sedan that offers V-8 and V-6 engines, as well as loads of other specialized equipment and features. The 6.0L V-8 is rated at 355 Horsepower and best in class 0-60 acceleration and top speed. It also features fuel saving Active Fuel Management technology and is E85 capable.
The LFX-code 3.6L V-6 is rated at 301 horsepower with 265 lb.-ft. of torque that delivers a strong balance of performance and efficiency. The LFX is the standard engine, but the V-8 is available as an option that is offered at no extra charge.
Other highlights include:
- Six-speed automatic transmission with sport shift calibrations for high-performance driving.
- Exceptional braking performance with heavy duty, four-wheel discs and police-calibrated anti-lock system.
- Eight standard air bags with rollover protection and StabiliTrak stability control.
- Segment-leading interior space, with the center console area available for computers and other police equipment.
The Caprice is designed to provide maximum comfort so officers can do their job more effectively. This is why the front seats of the Caprice are "sculpted" to pocket the equipment belt, which greatly increases the comfort for a great range of police officer sizes. It conforms to the shape of an equipment belt's various items, which will allow the officer to use correct posture. Engineers worked long and hard picking the materials to make the seats and a few versions were tested by actual cops in the field. These officers made the final decision on what seat to use!
Here are some other highlights that make the Caprice the premiere vehicle for law enforcement officers:
- Standard driver information center in the instrument cluster with an oil life monitor and selectable "Trap Speed" feature that captures speed with tracking/pacing other vehicles.
- Standard analog 160mph speedometer.
- Stealth Mode, which eliminates interior lights and greatly dims exterior lights.
- Disabled rear interior door locks, handles and windows...for obvious reasons.
The Caprice is available in Phantom Black Metallic, Heron White, Karma Metallic, Mirage Glow Metallic, Red Hot, Alto Grey Metallic, Silver Ice Metallic, Hugo Blue Metallic. The Caprice is available in Police (9C1) and Detective (9C3) editions. The 9C3 version of the Caprice offers all the amenities of the 9C1 with an added standard front center console and full wheel covers.
Take a look at some of the pics below!