In 1969, Chevrolet built 69 ZL-1 Camaros. Now that the ZL-1 is going into full blown production, take a look at the newest Camaro. The COPO, or Central Office Production Order, a name for Chevrolet's special-order system used by dealers to build performance models in the 1960s.
General Motors will again make 69 COPO Camaros, but this time they will be the brand's first purpose-built Camaro, built solely for drag racing and designed to compete with the NHRA's Stock Eliminator and Super Stock classes.
Customers can order and complete the transaction for their COPO at any preferred Chevy dealer, but will have to take delivery at the GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Michigan.
"The COPO Camaro is going to shake up the sportsman drag tacing ranks this summer and give Chevy fans a great new reason to cheer on the Bowtie. COPO builds off the strengths that have made the Camaro the best-selling sports car in America. And while it was developed strictly for the drag strip, the COPO Camaro is infused with the same performance pedigree that every Camaro shares." -Jim Campbell, GM US VP of Performance Vehicles & Motorsports
Here are some more details about the COPO Camaro:
There are three engines available.
- A naturally aspirated 427 (7.0L) and two supercharged 327 (5.3L) V8 engines.
- The engines are assembled at GM's Performance Build Center, where the buyer can opt to participate in the engine assembly. This is just like the Corvette's Engine Build Experience and the Build Your Own Crate Engine program.
- Engines are paired with a Powerglide automatic transmission that is designed specifically designed for drag racing!
Other features include:
- A sequenced build number that is matched to the engine.
- The car is sold without a VIN and can not be registered for highway or residential use. This is solely a racing car.
- Five colors: Black, Summit White, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic and Ashen Grey Metallic.
- COPO Graphics package available in Metallic White, Flat Blac, Inferno Orange Metallic and Chevy Racing Blue.
- A special collectors package will offer all three engines with the COPO Camaro with each engine serial matched to the car.
To ensure fair access to these limited number of cars, an independant third party identifies the first individuals who will be offered the opportunity to buy one. They will receive a letter with instructions on how to fulfill the purchase contract.
So, you want a COPO Camaro but you don't get selected to purchase one. Well, then take advantage of the ZL-1 from Chevrolet. The ZL-1 is the fastest mass produced Camaro ever made which will be available in the next few weeks. To set up your test drive as soon as they get here, give us a call at 330-SWEENEY or email us at email@example.com